TBT Logo

TBT Logo

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Food in Travel: Ilocano delicacies


Traveling is not just about seeing new sights and experiencing new things. It is also about tasting new (local) delicacies. Food is always part of travels. I have nothing against it if you still feel like hitting the local Mc Donalds or Jollibee in town, but at least, unleash that adventure kid in you and indulge to some gastronomic pleasure each city or town has to offer.
Like the province of Ilocos, Ilocano cuisine offers a variety of choices for travelers and food lovers out there. Vegetarian? Meat lover? Light eater? No worries, these all can be on your plate, and will make you ask for a second serving, or a third.
Ilocos Longganisa
longganisa
During my last stay in Pagudpod, I was there for 4 days. And in all those days, I had Ilocos Longganisa for breakfast. Never got tired of it. And if ever my stay got extended, I would still have it for breakfast. That’s how delicious it is!

Miki and Empanada
miki and empanada
Perfect afternoon snack.
Ilocano Miki is their own version of noodles with soup and egg. While Empada is a mix  of egg, meat, vegetables wrapped in dough, deep fried. You have the option to put vinegar on it when eating.

Inabraw
inabraw
This is for the health conscious out there. It’s a mix of different vegetable cooked with fish sauce (bagoong). Fried fish or pork can be added, but main ingredients are veggies.

Bagnet and Sinigang
bagnet
Bagnet is deep fried pork belly. Deeply fried that the crunchiness could crackle once you bite it.
My photo above doesn't do justice to Bagnet, so I’m grabbing something from the net:
bagnet_blauearth.com_
Photo from About.Ph

Dinakdakan
Dinakdakan
“Grille spicy pork salad” as they call it. Pig parts with pig’s brain! Often served as appetizer for those drinking beer/liquor, but as you can see in this photo, I ate it as a meal.  I loved it!
If you’re craving for some of these food featured above, and you’re stuck here in the city, I recommend you to go to Empanada Nation. Their food is as good as it is in the province. check out their Facebook page here.

No comments:

Post a Comment